Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hogwarts Sorting Hat

I had such a blast making this cake!  The sorting hat was for my oldest's good friend, Rayce.  He was having a Harry Potter Birthday and I am so glad that his mom asked me to make this specific design.  His mom and I are pretty close and fortunately, she trusts me when it comes to cake.  At first, I wasn't so sure I deserved such trust since it looked more like a beehive than a hat when I first started carving.  Finally, it started to take shape. 
My main concern, with this cake, was stability.  I knew that I needed a good support system and a dense cake to hold the shape.  The sorting hat was, my new favorite, Butterscotch Spice with cream cheese filling.  I loved that this was all chocolate fondant.  With petal dust and cocoa, I was able to work on the shadows and weathering of the hat. 
As I worked on the details, I had a bit of a Harry Potter movie marathon.  I thought for sure that I would need to watch at least 5 of the movies, but had finished the cake before The Chamber of Secrets had finished!  Not only did I get to make my vision of a great "character" come to life, but I was able to have a movie night.

Happy 8th Birthday, Rayce...
wishing you a magical year!
If anyone is interested in a Harry Potter birthday party and need suggestions, let me know.  Rayce's mom threw an amazing party, complete with Hogwarts "letters" as invitations...from the Headmistress herself!  Thanks for a great party, Brooke!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Totally made the party and people are still talking about it. It tasted as amazing as it looked. What a talent you are. I loved this cake and appreciated it so much, and so did Rayce!

    ReplyDelete